2020-2021 J.E.J. Moore Middle School FAQ for Families
Phone - (804)733-2740 Fax – (804)733-2697
Mr. R Knowles, Principal
Mr. N. Liggatti, Assistant Principal (7th Grade)
Ms. M Smith, Assistant Principal (6th Grade)
In order to inform families of certain procedures in our school building, we have put together this FAQ (Frequently Answered Questions) of important information. Please keep this handy at home, and feel free to call the office with any questions you may have during the school year.
Students are assigned to teams with their homeroom and core subject teachers for language arts, math, science, and social studies. When contacting the school, it is usually helpful for us to know your student’s team, so please record it here:
MY STUDENT’S GRADE & TEAM: __________________________________________________
OFFICE HOURS – 7:00 am to 3:45 pm
7:00 am – students go to the cafeteria if they are dropped off at the front of the building
7:20 am – the bell rings for students to go to lockers and homeroom, bus riders enter the building
7:40 am – the homeroom bell rings and students are TARDY after this time
ARRIVING AFTER 7:40 AM:
The homeroom bell rings at 7:40 am and students are considered tardy afterwards. They must come to the main office, sign in, and get a pass to class. Parents DO NOT have to come in the building to sign a student in, but you are welcome to do so. Any notes from appointments should be brought to the office when a student signs in. If a student is late, they will be marked TARDY instead of absent. We highly encourage students to be on time to school so they can get the most out of their school day.
LATE BUS SIGN INS:
If a student is on a late bus, they will be dropped off at the front of the building. Regardless of where the bus drops off, students MUST come to the main office, sign in, and get a pass to class. These students will be marked as PRESENT, but only if they sign in.
- Call the day of or afterwards OR send a written note to main office before or after.
- Getting homework if absent for at least 3 days: call the school and talk to the guidance department OR email your student’s teachers directly.
Sanctioned after-school activities or sports can get a pass for a long time period. For long term OR a temporary change to a normal drop-off point, send a written note with the address where the student will go and have the student bring it to the office by 8:00 am. Requests go to the transportation department for approval, then a bus pass will be written for the student (usually by 5th block). Several busses are FULL and no passes will be written for those particular busses.
SIGNING A STUDENT OUT EARLY:
- An adult must come into the main office and sign their student out. If they return to school that same day, the student can sign themselves back in on the early dismissal/returns sheet, then get a pass to go to class.
- If someone needs to pick up your student who is NOT on your emergency card, please send a written note and have the student bring it to the office by 8:00 am. If someone is NOT on your emergency card and they show up to get your student without written permission, the office will call a parent/guardian for permission. During the school year, names can be added to the emergency card by a parent/guardian coming to the office in person.
DISMISSAL AT THE END OF THE DAY:
- 2:30 pm – First bus load dismissal and car riders who are signed out in the office prior to 2:30 pm (please arrive before 2:20 pm to sign a student out for 2:30 pick up).
- 2:45 pm – Second bus load dismissal and car riders who come out the front door to the parking lot (please pull into the traffic circle or park in a parking spot – do not block parking spots).
- 2:50 pm – Third bus load dismissal.
CAFETERIA – LUNCH:
NO calls or account payments can go to the cafeteria between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm (during 5th block/lunches). If a student forgets their lunch and has no money with them or on the on their account, the cafeteria will offer them a cheese sandwich and milk to eat. Before 11:00 am, someone can go to the cafeteria and put money on a student’s account, or you can bring lunch to school for your student, or leave them money for lunch. Family members can eat lunch with students during their team’s lunch time.
Email is a great way to contact teachers/staff, and addresses can be found at the school’s website on the Internet at: jej-moore-middle-school.echalksites.com under “Teams & Programs (Staff Email)” by team and department. Phone messages can be taken in the office for teachers, administrators, or staff. Teachers can usually return phone calls during their planning period.
SCHOOL PHONING YOU:
Please check your messages first to see who called you. The administrators, nurse, main office, and teachers will usually leave a message if your phone accepts messages. All incoming calls come through the main office, but we are not always aware of which staff member has called you.
The library is open for check-out and returns from 7:20 am to 11:00 am and 11:30 to 2:45 pm. Students can take AR tests in the library during regular class times except during 5th block and from 7:20 am to 7:50 am – during those time AR tests are taken in computer lab A-1. Students can check out up to three (3) books at a time, unless they have fines to pay, then they are limited to one (1) book.
FINAL EXAMS IN JUNE:
- During the last week of school and final exams, students are released early at 11:45 am. Bus schedules are the same, so if your student normally leaves school on first bus load at 2:30 pm and they arrive home at 3:00 pm, on an early release day they would leave at 11:45 am and arrive home at 12:15 pm (a 30 minute bus ride).
- Students may be asked to exempt finals by their teachers if they make a certain grade in a particular class. Parents need to sign off on an exemption form for this to happen, so you can choose to have your student take a final even if they are eligible to exempt it.
Holidays might be added during the school year if the school board votes to do so – it depends on the number of snow days that are used. Check the website – pgs.k12.va.us – for calendar changes.